Our address;

The Presbytery,

Claremorris,

Co. Mayo F12 X8C2

094 9362477  stcolmansparish@eircom.net

Co-ordinates St. Colman’s Church  53.7225° N, 8.9975° W   

 

Church of Our Lady, Barnacarroll, Claremorris, Co. Mayo F12 YV76

Co-ordinates Church of Our Lady 53.7671° N, 8.9693° W

Privacy Policy 

St. Vincent de Paul –  085 8140339

Cúram 094 9362096

www.irishgraveyards.ie

Schools

Boys N.S. 094 9371928

Muire gan Smal – 094 9371496

Meelickmore N.S. – 094 9362424

Gaelscoil Uileog de Búrca – 094 9362000

Barnacarroll N.S. – 094 9388629

St. Colman’s College – 094 9371442

Mount St. Michael – 094 9371474

 

 

A Brief History of St Colman’s Church
St. Colman’s Church was built by Rt. Rev. Monsignor Kilkenny P.P., D.D., V.G.,
and dedicated to Our Lady of Good Counsel by Archbishop Healy on October 8th
1911. The sermon was preached by Dr. Gilmartin, Bishop of Clonfert, afterwards
Archbishop of Tuam. The architect was Mr. R.M. Butler and the style is early
English gothic.
Although dedicated to Our Lady of Good Counsel, the Church continues to be
known as St. Colman’s. The parish is also called Kilcolman. Why? The reason
brings us back to the seventh century.
St. Colman was born in the West of Ireland. He received his religious training at
Bangor and afterwards in Iona. He succeeded St. Finian as Abbot in seeking
missionaries from Iona. St. Colman disagreed about the date of Easter and kept
his view by the Irish custom. He lost his case at the Conference of Whitby in 664.
He refused to abandon the practise of “Sainty Elders of the Irish Church”. As a
result he departed from Britain to a small island in the West of Ireland called
Inishbofin, taking with him all the Irish he had assembled. He built a monastery
but his Saxon Irish monks could not agree. St. Colman travelled inward and
founded a new monastery at Maigh Eo, to which he transferred his Saxon monks
with St.Gerald as their first abbot. It afterward became a famous Monastic
school. Hence the place name today of “Mayo Abbey” and the historical title
“Mayo of the Saxons”. The Abbey was granted diverse portions of land including
such places as Garranabba and Kilcolman which are still place names within the
Claremorris parish.
St. Colman is the patron saint of Claremorris and died in Inishbofin in 676. He is
honoured not only in the popular name of the present parish church but also in
the name of an ancient church ruin (Kilcolman Church) and the graveyard close
to the geographical centre of the parish. St. Colman’s is the name of the local
boy’s secondary school. Some boy of the parish are given the name Colman at
baptism.
Cardinal D’Alton, a native of Claremorris, bequeathed to the parish church but
also the De Burgo pattern gold chalice which was presented to him by the priests
and people of Claremorris on the occasion of his elevation to the Sacred College,
January 1953.